What To Do When Your B2B Email Marketing Campaign Isn’t Working

Are your B2B email marketing campaigns converting? If not, you’re likely wasting time and resources on an approach that isn’t actually delivering real value to your business.

That being said, email marketing has the potential to be an incredibly powerful tool. Luckily for you, there are various practical, actionable tactics that can be integrated into your current strategy to get the results you’re after.

If you want to engage recipients and generate valuable outcomes, you’ll need to assess your current email marketing campaigns and identify where exactly they’re going wrong. Asking the following questions is a great starting point and will help you eliminate some of the common mistakes businesses make. Address such downfalls, and you’ll be well on the way to achieving email marketing success.

Do You Understand Your Target Audience?

Taking the time to establish a comprehensive understanding of your target audience is a crucial stage in any B2B email marketing campaign. If you don’t know the interests and expectations of the individuals you’re reaching out to, how are you going to know the types of content that will be relevant to them? To get real results, you need to deliver emails that comprise high-quality, targeted content and offer recipients unique value. Merely hoping that prospects enjoy what you’re sending them is not enough.

You may also benefit from segmenting your target audience into core consumer groups, sending each group different emails specific to their interests. This will, in turn, help you further personalise the content you’re sharing so that it is incredibly relevant to recipients.

For instance, if you sell plants, you could divide your prospects into segments based on how they use your products. Your customer groups could include those who use your plants in their home garden, construction companies who require large orders for various projects and the like. With distinct customer personas to target, you can ensure that recipients relate to the content and imagery used in your emails. This shows prospects that you recognise their unique needs and will, consequently, boost engagement.

How Often Are You Sending Emails?

 Who enjoys being constantly bombarded with emails? It comes as no surprise that, if you smother people with emails, they’ll often be inclined to unsubscribe from your list. Scaring off prospects by flooding their inbox isn’t ideal, but neither is only making an appearance every few weeks or months. Leave recipients hanging for too long, and you’ll lose relevance. By the time you finally reach out to them, they may no longer be interested in your brand or even remember who you are.

45.8% of subscribers flag emails as spam because the sender emailed them too often – Campaign Monitor

So, how many emails should you be sending prospects? Determining just how frequently to send emails doesn’t have to be difficult. In fact, Campaign Monitor has done the hard work for you. Based on their collated data, they suggest sending one email to your subscriber list every two weeks. It is, however, important to note that this “sweet spot” may vary across sectors and you’ll still likely benefit from conducting your own tests.

Another great way to get your email frequency right is to let potential customers choose how often they would like to receive updates from your brand. By adding the option to either subscribe to your weekly or monthly newsletter (or both), prospects can have a say in what they want to receive.

Do Your Emails Have Design Errors?

The design of your email needs to be a key consideration because if your emails don’t display well, you will lower the overall functionality of them and recipients will be less inclined to continue reading. It is crucial that your email design is compatible with mobile devices; otherwise, you will lose the attention of a large portion of subscribers.

“90% of all emails are read on mobile devices” – HuffPost

If your emails still aren’t mobile-friendly, updating their design should be a priority. You will also need to ensure that the ratio of image to text in your emails is appropriate. In fact, if you include too many images in your emails they might be marked as spam. As a general rule, your emails should be roughly 80% text, with the remaining 20% being dedicated to images.

Want to find out more? Get in touch with our expert team of B2B digital marketing specialists today and find out how to take your B2B email marketing campaigns to new heights.

Subscribe now

Join Our B2B
Marketing Newsletter

Monthly updates on best-practice
B2B marketing and lead generation ideas
& much more.
cross