SEO is an often-used term in the world of business, however it’s one of the least understood buzzword.
As B2B marketers, The Lead Agency recognises the importance of SEO as a lead generation tactic, and we’re not alone, in fact:
57% of B2B marketers say SEO has the biggest impact on lead generation [NewsCred, 2014]
SEO is particularly important in the B2B sector where consumers are more savvy and willing to do their own research before committing to purchase. B2B customers will seek your brand out online, with 81% of B2B purchase cycles starting with a web search [Earnest Agency, 2014].
As such, B2B brands that dominate search engine results generally have no issue with generating new leads, making SEO an invaluable medium to businesses across the sector.
So, What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimisation (or SEO), is the process of attempting to improve the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine’s organic results.
Search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo! conduct over 100 billion global searches each month [Search Engine Journal, 2013]. With so many potential leads, SEO is an important tool for marketers looking to drive visitors to their website. The process involves employing on and off-page techniques used to indicate to the search engine that your page and its content are valuable to the searcher.
What is SEO? How Search Engines Work
The function of a search engine is to provide relevant answers to a user’s query.
In order to do this, every time an online search is conducted, the search engine scours its index of documents to find the most relevant web pages, and then ranks those results according to the popularity of the websites serving the information.
The popularity and relevance of the web page are determined using mathematical equations called algorithms. These algorithms often comprise hundreds of variables, which SEOs try to influence in order to improve the rankings of their website and web pages.
What is SEO? The Importance of Position
SEO techniques can significantly improve the rank of your website or web page. Website owners should take note that the position in which your website sits on the search engine results page will significantly influence the click through rate to that page.
This research from Chitika highlights that the higher up in search engine rankings you sit, the more clicks you will get, so there is a huge advantage for websites who sit above their competitors.
Furthermore, 75% of users never scroll past the first page of search results [Hubspot, 2014], so Search Engine Optimisation should not and cannot be ignored by today’s B2B marketer.
What is SEO? How to Improve Your Website Rankings
There are several simple steps that a website owner can take to help improve their search engine rankings. The following steps are easy to implement but can make a huge difference to your website’s ability to generate leads:
- Use Simple URLs: Every page on your website should have a brief URL that indicates the content on that page. For example leadagency.com.au/b2b-marketing-strategies is better than www.leadagency.com.au/?pageid=12a4b2dsk3
- Use Keywords: Know what keywords (search terms) your customers are using in relation to your products or services and include them on your web pages, URLs, page titles and meta data.
- Use Images & Videos: Images and videos are easy for people to scan quickly and spark their interest. As a result, using images and videos on your site can reduce bounce rate and increase the amount of time users spend on your site, which in turn will help boost your user-interaction signals for Google.
- Ensure Website Loads Quickly: Page loading speed is an important SEO ranking signal, so take measures to continuously monitor your website’s loading time. Furthermore, Google is focusing more and more on page load speed, particularly for mobile, so make sure you also pay attention to loading time on mobile devices.
- Encourage Social Sharing: The more links pointing to your website from external sources, the more weight Google will give to your content. Adding social sharing buttons to your website can indirectly improve your chance of receiving links to your content as more people are likely to see it.
- Be Mobile: As more and more users search on mobile devices, Google and other search engines are placing more weight on websites which are mobile-friendly. Ensure your website has a responsive design in order to provide a good user-experience for searchers across devices.
Contact the B2B Marketing Consultants at the Lead Agency today!
And make sure you check out the other industries that we work in; Education Marketing | Financial Services Marketing | Industrial Marketing | Insurance Marketing | IT Marketing | Law Firm Marketing | Manufacturing Marketing