It is important to apply statistics to your marketing strategy in order to identify market trends, and to compare, measure and evaluate the potential success of your business’ strategic marketing campaigns.
The key to any successful marketing campaign is to accurately identify your target market and apply effective marketing communication channels and strategies that will engage them. Statistics can help you achieve both of those goals, as well as evaluate the success of your marketing campaigns against competitors and peers.
The Lead Agency has compiled a comprehensive list of key B2B marketing statistics that demonstrate the latest trends for 2019. Some of these statistics may surprise you, and many may make you completely reconsider your strategies for the next year.
2019 SEO Statistics
SEO is ever changing and 2019 looks set to be no different, with experts already predicting it to be a revolutionary year for SEO. The digital environment is changing, from virtual reality to block chain and artificial intelligence. All of these developments will have a huge impact on how SEO is best approached going forward.
It’s no secret that black hat SEO practices like keyword stuffing, bulk-buying backlinks, spamming blog posts, and doorway pages from a network of non-related sites are all out. But what will be the best white hat practices going forward? From User Experience to Mobile Optimisation, Video, and Voice, here are the stats that can help shape your SEO strategy in 2019.
- The first position on Google has a high click-through rate of 34.36% on desktop, and 31.35% on mobile. (Advanced Web Ranking, 2015)
- 81% of leads conduct online research when making big purchase decisions. (Retailing Today, 2014)
- 50% of mobile searches to lead visitors to visit the store within 24 hours. (Google, 2014)
- 50% of all search queries are four or more words long. (WordStream 2016)
- 71% of B2B consumers start of their research with a general search query. (Google, 2015)
- 19% of users search via Siri at least once per day. And up to 37% use Siri, 23% use Microsoft’s Cortana and 19% use Amazon’s Alexa AI monthly. (HubSpot, 2015)
- SEO is a service in demand by 30% of customers. (Advanced Web Ranking, 2017)
- 30% of marketers think voice search will be the next big thing, yet 60% of companies haven’t addressed it in their business strategy. (Consultancy, 2017)
- Google receives over 100 billion searches a month. (Mashable, 2015)
- 80% of marketers use location targeting for the mobile advertisements. (Business Insider, 2016)
- 70% of users dislike mobile advertisements. (HubSpot, 2016)
2019 Search Engine Marketing Statistics
B2B Search Engine Marketing is about understanding how people buy from the company in order to target ads in the most effective way. With the number of ads you are competing with, it’s more important than ever to stand out. To be successful in 2019, it’s important that your ads are aligned with the consumer’s level of buyer-readiness.
Search Engines like Google and Bing are ever-changing, and so is consumer search behaviour. Successful SEM marketers in 2019 will stay ahead of these trends, and optimise their strategy accordingly, while remembering that relevance will remain key to creating a successful AdWords campaign, from the ad copy to the landing page.
- 58% believe that paid advertising on search engines is the most effective paid form of digital marketing. (Consalta)
- The average CPC in AdWords across all industries was $3.09 AUD on search networks and $0.77 AUD for display advertising. (WordStream, 2016)
- 34% of users have mistakenly clicked on an online advertisement. (HubSpot, 2016)
- Google is responsible for 95% of paid search ad clicks on mobile devices. (Business Insider, 2016)
- Google AdWords results receive 65% of the clicks that started with buying keywords, while organic results only receive 35 percent (Craig McConnel)
- Businesses make an average of $2 in income for every $1 they spend in AdWords. (Google)
- On average, 41% of clicks go to the top 3 paid ads on the search results page. (Wordstream)
- For high commercial intent searches (someone looking to buy a product) paid ads get 65% of all clicks. (Wordstream)
- The average click-through rate for an ad in the first position is 7.94%. An average click-through rate is 2%. (AccuraCast)
- PPC visitors are 50% more likely to purchase something than organic visitors. (Unbounce)
2019 Content Marketing Statistics
Content Marketing is most definitely here to stay. For most companies, it has become more than a strategy, and instead is something that is useful to every function of marketing teams today.
Content Marketing as a practice is definitely maturing, and as companies are starting to learn how to best use it to their advantage, it is becoming less of a general solution and more of a tool to achieve their specific goals. As such, going forward it is vital you’re your content marketing strategies are well planned and evaluated in order to maximize their effectiveness and ensure continuing audience engagement.
The most successful Content Marketing campaigns in 2019 will be mature, innovative and consistently refined.
- B2B companies that blog more than 11 times a month had roughly three times as much traffic as those that blogged 0 – 4 times a month (HubSpot, 2015)
- 55% of B2B marketers admit they don’t even know what ‘successful content marketing’ looks like. (Content Marketing Institute, 2015)
- 96% of B2B buyers have said that they wanted content with input from industry influencers and thought leaders. (Demand Gen Report, 2016)
- 43% of visitors skim blog posts. (HubSpot, 2016)
- 86% of B2B companies have an active blog. (The Real Time Report, 2010)
- Podcast listening has grown 23% in popularity in the past year. (Edison Research, 2016)
- Hiring B2B marketers who are good at content marketing is harder than ever, according to 1 in 3 B2B marketing professionals. (Content Marketing Institute, 2014)
- 29% of B2B marketers are repurposing their content. (Curata, 2016)
- 94% of B2B marketers are using LinkedIn to disseminate their content to a larger audience. (Content Marketing Institute, 2015)
- The average reader spends only 37 seconds reading your blog article. (Content Marketing Institute, 2016)
- 91% of people say ads are more intrusive today than two years ago. (HubSpot, 2016)
- 80% of users have admitted to leaving a page because of a pop-up or auto-playing video. (HubSpot, 2016)
2019 Social Media Statistics
Social Media is another area that is constantly changing, from new emerging platforms, to different consumption habits and methods of communication. The vast range of social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp and SnapChat continuously roll out new improvements, and innovative features that add different dimensions to the platforms. Marketers using Social Media have to stay on top of these changes to help users engage with their company online.
It is now more vital than ever for marketers to stay one step ahead and ensure they know the up and coming social media marketing trends, so they can plan their strategies accordingly. Here are the top social media statistics that we think will shape the platform in 2019.
- 72% of adult users on the Internet use Facebook. (Pew Research Centre, 2015)
- 25% of adult internet users use LinkedIn, whilst 46% of adults who graduated from University use LinkedIn. (Pew Research Centre, 2015)
- Content consumption increased by 21% on LinkedIn from 2014 to 2016. (HubSpot, 2016)
- LinkedIn has over 467 million users registered on their network, however, only 25% of them actively engage with the channel on a monthly basis. (VentureBeat, 2016)
- 74% of Facebook users say they use the platform for professional purposes. (HubSpot, 2017)
- Facebook users are the most engaged on the Internet. 70% login daily and 43% log more than once a day. (Pew Research Centre, 2015)
- 66% of B2B marketers use paid advertising on social media. (Advanced Web Ranking, 2017)
- 22% of smartphone users check their device every five minutes. (Advanced Web Ranking, 2017)
- In 2017, it was reported that 80% of B2B social media leads came directly from LinkedIn (Ironpaper, 2017)
- LinkedIn is the only social media channel where users between the age of 30 to 49 outrank user between 19 to 29. (Pew Research Centre, 2015)
2019 Video Marketing Statistics
People are watching more videos than ever before, and the growth of YouTube and other video sharing channels cannot be ignored. Smart marketers have already adopted video marketing as part of their marketing strategy, and in 2019 this is a trend that looks like it will continue to grow.
There are many ways to incorporate video into your own 2019 Marketing Strategy, from Vlogs to video interviews, tutorials, product demos customer reviews and live streams. Check out some of the stats that can help inform your strategy below.
- 48% of marketers intend to add YouTube to their existing content strategy over the next twelve months. (HubSpot, 2017)
- 71% of businesses with 100+ employees used YouTube, in comparison to 38% of self-employed individuals. (Social Media Examiner)
- YouTube has a billion registered users, making up roughly a third of everyone on the Internet. (YouTube, 2016)
- Roughly 2 out of 3 people prefer to watch a video under a minute than over a minute. (Animoto, 2015)
- 51.9% of marketers recommend video marketing as the strategy with highest ROI (Adobe, 2015)
- 43% of consumers would like to see more video content from marketing professionals. (HubSpot, 2016)
- Four times as many people prefer to watch a video on a topic, than read about it. (Animoto, 2015)
- Four out of five customers believe demonstration videos are helpful. (HubSpot, 2017)
- Marketers using video as a strategy grow revenue 49% faster than non-video users. (Aberdeen, 2015)
- Those who view a video of a product or service are 1.81x more likely to purchase than those who don’t view a video. (Animoto, 2015)
- 51% of people have a lower opinion of brands that use auto-playing videos. (HubSpot, 2016)
Email Marketing Statistics
Email Marketing is particularly important for B2B marketers, who have to communicate with current and prospective clients on a consistent basis due to the longer, and more high involvement purchase decisions. However, the challenge that most marketers face with email marketing is trying to stand out in a cluttered inbox.
As with other channels, it’s important to review your email marketing success factors to improve ROI. Going into 2019, segmenting subscribers and optimizing emails for user experience on mobile will be important factors to any email campaign.
- Creative and personalised subject lines are 26% more likely to be opened than generic phrases. (Experian, 2016)
- The average ROI for every dollar spent on email marketing is $38. (Campaign Manager, 2016)
- 53% of emails are opened on mobile devices. (Campaign Monitor, 2015)
- 86% of consumers want to receive promotional emails from businesses they work with monthly, and 15% daily. (Statista, 2015)
- 83% of companies use segmentation in their email marketing strategies. (Econsultancy, 2016)
- 64% of email recipients prefer rich text emails. (HubSpot, 2014)
- One in three millenials are comfortable sending emojis to their manager or senior executive. (Adobe, 2015)
- 54% of marketers say that increasing engagement is their top priority for their email marketing. (Ascend2, 2016)
- Two thirds of unsubscribes happen between 5 and 10 pm. (Tomasz Tunguz, 2015)
- 86% of professionals prefer email when communicating for business purposes. (HubSpot, 2017)
2019 Lead Generation Statistics
Lead generation stimulates and captures interest in your business’ product or service for the purpose of building a sales pipeline. It can help your business grow by topping up your sales pipeline with quality new leads, nurturing new leads to prime them for conversion, and following up on old leads, prospects and lapsed customers.
There are a vast number of strategies and channels that you can use to generate leads for your business. As each of these channels continues to develop and new channels emerge, it will be important to stay ahead of the trends to make sure your business is using the most effective strategy for generating leads in 2019.
- 79% of B2B marketers said that 3-5 web registration and download forms was ideal for there business, whilst 16% said it was 6+. (BrightTALK, 2015)
- B2B marketers have voted the best benefit of marketing automation being generating more and better quality leads. (Pepper Global, 2014)
- 67% of B2B marketers said lead nurturing led to a 10% increase in sales, whilst 15% said it led to a 30% increase in sales. (Demand Gen Report, 2014)
- Lack of quality data is the biggest obstacle to lead generation according to 42% of B2B marketers. (BrightTalk, 2015)
- 63% of B2B marketers believe that generating traffic and leads is their biggest challenge. (State of Inbound Report, 2017)
- 84% of marketers say inbound marketing leads to better quality leads. (HubSpot, 2017)
- MarTech spend is higher than AdSpend for most companies on average. (Gartner, 2016)
- Nurtured leads are 20% more likely to lead to convert. (Demand Gen Report, 2014)
- 58% of B2B marketers say that their lead generation budget is set to increase with a year. (BrightTALK, 2015)
- MarTech represents 33% of the average marketing budget. (Gartner, 2016)
- 200 million people use ad blocking technology. (Content Marketing Institute, 2016)
- 28% of B2B marketers have reallocated their tradition advertising budget to digital marketing. (Gartner, 2013)
2019 Marketing Technology Statistics
Any piece of technology that a marketer uses to reach a potential customer or lead, can be classed as Marketing Technology. This includes email-marketing systems like Campaign Monitor and Social Media marketing platform like HootSuite, which are now extensively used by marketers across industries with the aim of making their job easier.
These platforms are continuously developing in order to become even more effective and efficient for us marketers. One of the biggest trends to keep an eye on in this area is Artificial Intelligence. There will likely be a number of exciting announcements of what AI, and other Marketing Technology solutions can deliver in 2019.
- 85% of adults between the ages of 18 and 49 use multiple devices at the same time. (Google, 2016)
- Consumers spend 85% of their time on their smartphones in applications. (TechCrunch, 2015)
- 24% of marketers have added messaging applications to their content marketing strategy. (HubSpot, 2017)
- It is expected that by 2020 there will be 6.1 billion smartphone users, compared to 2.6 billion globally today. (TechCrunch, 2015)
- 32% of executives believe that voice recognition is the most widely used AI technology in their business. (Narrative Science, 2015)
- 80% of people believe that AI will improve worker performance and create jobs. (Narrative Science, 2015)
- 80% of millennial have their smartphone by their side both day and night. (Google, 2015)
- 35% of smartphone users check their phone more than 50 times per day. (AdWeek, 2015)
- 34% of online retail purchases are conducted on a mobile. (Google, 2016)
- One third of people say they use their mobile as their primary device for accessing the Internet. (HubSpot, 2016)
Are you struggling to find the right approach to your B2B marketing?
Do you need help improving the way your business generates more and better quality leads?