Ever wondered how Google reads just a few keywords typed to what you’re looking for and lays down exact results to your search? This is all due to a complex algorithm that first identifies what you’re searching for based on the words that you type, and then delivers the most relevant web content to fit your search.
In order to display on the first page of Search results, you can build a website that is optimised for Google’s algorithm, which can be complex, expensive and time consuming. Alternatively, you can give your website a boost to the top of the results page by setting up a paid Google Ads campaign.
The first two three results that are displayed on a Google Search Engine results Page are what we refer to as Google Ads, previously known as AdWords.
Google Ads is an easy online advertising platform that inspires shoppers and helps marketers attract more customers, promoting products and services through visiting their websites, shopping through their stores or getting in touch with their business. It is an advertising system where advertisers bid for certain keywords pertaining to the product or service, so that their clickable ads appear in Google’s search results.
Google Ads are an excellent way to generate B2B leads and sales but can be brutal to manage at times for many B2B businesses in competitive marketplaces. With rising competition between brands, vast choices and reasonably low search volumes, it has been resulting in higher Cost Per Clicks (CPCs). One way to reduce the cost per click is to increase the ‘Quality score of the Ads’. Gradually leading into the following 5-optimisation tips that can be implemented by any company for their B2B Google Ads campaign.
Choose Relevant Keywords
Choosing relevant keywords is critical to the success of any Google Ads campaign as the goal is to turn clicks into conversions and sales. This can be a real challenge when it comes to targeting search terms.
- Terminology counts – Using B2B terminology, search term reports and keywords with intent is essential to attract the right traffic that connects or relates in the minds of the buyer.
- Alternatively, making use of negative keywords is as important. Trimming on words or phrases that are similar to your product or service, but do not align with your brand whatsoever are the keywords you must update as negative keywords.
- By adding negative keywords, you’re ensuring your keywords are only attracting searches that a qualified lead would perform.
Create Dedicated Landing Pages
Believe it or not, landing pages make all the difference. Landing pages affect the quality score of an ad. Quality score is basically an estimate of the quality of the ad, keywords used and landing pages linked. Higher the quality score of an ad, lower the prices and better the ranking of the ad position.
According to Forbes, after the creation of a custom-landing page, which they aptly named campaign landing page (CLP), their results improved dramatically. B2B marketers must create CLPs whenever the link to the existing content is not completely aligned or relevant.
Landing pages need to be specific to the ad including all the given information, appropriate resources and related content that could be easily found by a client. They could be customer stories, datasheets, videos, testimonials, CTAs and more on one landing page.
Having marketing teams follow up on no-quality leads is an absolute waste of time on sales. To avoid this, it is essential to make it clear that you’re a B2B company – by asking for the visitor’s business email, company name or highlight the fact that your customers are other businesses.
Write Ad Copy for B2B Buyers
Ad Copy is the main text for a clickable advertisement that is displayed on a search engine results page.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind to write an Ad Copy for B2B Buyer:
- First impression is the best impression they say so it’s not advised to beat around the bush as its businesses you’re attracting and not people.
- Understand what your clients want to convey.
- Don’t overload the reader with excessive content. Give them sufficient content for them to make a choice of choosing you over another company and make them come to you for the fine details.
- Address their point in the Buyer Journey by using industry terminology.
- Headlines really draw attention of the reader; hence give them a headline that addresses the specific need.
- Make your Call To Action clear and attention grabbing but linking sufficient buttons such as ‘Sign up now’, ‘Call us!’, ‘Get in touch with us’, ‘Shop more at our website’ etc.
- Make the content of the ad clear and deliverable with relevant headlines and description within word limits.
- Use helpful online tools that are at disposal to frame better sentences.
- The content of Ad Copy must align to the information provided on their respective landing pages.
Make the Most of Ad Extensions
Ad Extensions help your ad stand out and provide more information. They are snippets of relevant information about your business that can be added to the AdWords text ads. Some of the benefits of using ad extensions are that they increase visibility and Click Through Rates, create a better user experience and provide relevant information at the right time. Different extensions do different things. Some of the most common are as follows:
Sitelink Extensions: Sitelink Extensions provide additional information giving the client an opportunity to finding the most relevant result. They provide a brief summary of the subpages, which could increase CTAs. You can add up to maximum four links with the ad.
Call Extensions: Call Extensions are usually incorporated to help the searcher get in touch with the business immediately and not having to go through the website and find their contact details.
Location Extensions: Businesses usually have multiple locations and it is important to direct traffic to the right store location. Adding location extensions only helps instating trust and legitimacy of the business.
Structured Extensions: These extensions usually provide information on the nature, types or varieties of products or services helping highlight specific aspects of the product or service offered by the company.
Test and Optimise Your Ads
Lastly, it’s critical to optimise all the above elements and look into the account regularly to make improvements or update necessary information when needed. Timely checks on ads are advised such as checking keywords using ‘Search terms’ report. Regularly updating the keywords list to add to your Ad Groups or monitoring which ad is working out in the best interest of the company. Google ideally advises to have three ads at all times for effective results, so never discontinue optimising your AdWords Campaigns.
Google AdWords therefore is definitely an added advantage to your existing B2B campaign. By integrating necessary keywords, landing pages, relevant content, CTAs, added extensions etc., they will properly leverage the capabilities of Google Ads and over a fairly short period of time this will result in significant improvement for your business.
Get in touch with the Lead Agency to convert your B2B business traffic to leads, virtually! There couldn’t be a greater way than Google Ads to combine all the little pieces of necessary information to attract potential customers.